What is it?
Depersonalisation Disorder is the experience of feeling unreal, detached, and often, unable to feel emotion. It is a phenomenon characterised by a disruption in self-awareness and emotional numbness, where many people feel that they are disconnected or estranged from one’s self. Many people experience depersonalisation during a panic attack and this is often characterised as the peak level of anxiety. It is one way that the mind copes during periods of high levels of stress. For some people the condition can feel as though the world around them is like a movie that they are watching rather than specifically being a part of it.
DIY self diagnosis
If you can answer YES to the majority of these questions you may be suffering with depersonalisation disorder:
- Do you feel like the world around you is unreal?
- Do you feel as though you are watching yourself in a film?
- Do you find yourself felling disconnected from parts of your body or your emotions?
- Do you find yourself seeing objects changing in shape or colour or size?
Anxiety UK strongly advises that people seek further information and guidance from their GP who will be able to make a formal diagnosis.
How we can help
By becoming a member of Anxiety UK – for just £40 per year (see all our membership) you enjoy a range of support services and resources, including:
- Access to reduced cost therapies
- One year’s free subscription to Headspace (worth approx. £72), more details here
- Access to specialist email and helpline support
- Subscription to Anxious Times magazine (worth £12 annually)
- Access to our Member’s area and other free online resources
- Access to our exclusive member’s only online message boards
- Free copy of Understanding Anxiety booklet (worth £3.99)
- 20% discount on purchases of Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules made via www.kalmsrange.com. This discount is exclusively for Anxiety UK members.
- 10% off a Listening Books membership (normally between £20 and £45 per year).
- Total value of more than £90 annually!
Depersonalisation Disorder fact sheet
This fact sheet gives a detailed overview, as well as a look at some of the evidence based approaches to treating depersonalisation.
Overcoming Depersonalization and Feelings of Unreality is a self-help guide that introduces you to effective strategies to help you manage this condition. You can purchase yours from the Anxiety UK online shop here.
Worry Box is designed to help you understand your anxiety – your worry – and introduce you to a great way to fix it. You can purchase yours from the Anxiety UK online shop here.