Access unique, accredited, affordable and fast therapy services with greater choice than ever before
One key Anxiety UK membership benefit is that of gaining access to our unique, accredited and wide choice of four types of discounted therapy services delivered by our extensive and experienced network of Anxiety UK Approved Therapists.
Our range of therapies include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Clinical Hypnotherapy
Whilst we’re guided by The National Institute for Heath and Care Excellence (NICE), we offer flexibility in terms of the number of sessions you can have, and choice with regard to how you access therapy (face-to-face, phone or online). We also offer ‘top up sessions’ which means that if you need support up to six months after your therapy has finished, you can still re-access support.
We have a diverse range of Anxiety UK Approved Therapists, with the aim of meeting as many different needs as possible. They all adhere to our rigorous governance and quality assurance standards. This gives you peace of mind that you’re always in safe hands. If you prefer a specific therapist, please contact us and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.
For more details of our therapy services, see here.
Anxiety UK Approved Therapists are volunteers and are not employed by Anxiety UK when carrying out therapy services. The fees that are paid direct to them are to help to cover the cost of their expenses such as external supervision and room hire.
All Anxiety UK Approved Therapists have a current Enhanced Disclosure and Barring service check and undergo screening before getting approval to volunteer. This includes confirmation that the volunteers undertake regular external clinical supervision; they have up to date and relevant qualifications; they have professional indemnity insurance cover and that they have membership of relevant professional bodies.
Regular quality assurance checks are established to ensure that therapists have all mandatory requirements in place.
Counsellors must hold a Diploma in Counselling from a course that has been accredited/is in the process of being accredited by either the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP), the British Psychological Society (BPS) or the National Counselling Society (NCS) and/or hold individual registration/accreditation with the BACP or NCS.
Alternatively, if they hold a Counselling diploma from a non-BACP, NCS or BPS accredited course, they must be working towards securing BACP, NCS or BPS accreditation within 12 months of being accepted as an Anxiety UK Approved Therapist.
CBT practitioners must hold a qualification from a course that has been accredited /is in the process of being accredited by the British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) and/or hold individual accreditation with the BABCP.
Alternatively, if they have a CBT qualification (Diploma or above) from a non-BABCP accredited course, they must be working towards securing BABCP accreditation within 12 months of being accepted as an Anxiety UK Approved Therapist.
Clinical Hypnotherapists must hold a Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy and be registered with one of the following professional bodies: The Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council, The British Society of Clinical Hypnosis, the General Hypnotherapy Register, National Council for Hypnotherapy, UK Council for Psychotherapy and The Hypnotherapy Society.
CFT practitioners must have completed Anxiety UK’s CPD 3 day Introduction to CFT training course or An equivalent CPD 3 day introduction course equivalent to the AUK course delivered by a provider recognised by the Compassionate Mind Foundation or An Advanced Clinical Skills training course in CFT from a provider recognised by the Compassionate Mind Foundation or Hold either a PG Cert or PG Diploma in CFT from a provider recognised by the Compassionate Mind Foundation
To access Anxiety UK’s therapy services you must:
- Have an active membership subscription/be a paid-up member of Anxiety UK: (If you continue to have therapy when your membership has expired, you will be required to pay the full private rate (circa £60-150 per session depending upon your area of residence) for the sessions received and you will be invoiced directly by Anxiety UK.)
- Be requiring support with anxiety, stress or anxiety-based depression and Be “ready, willing & able” to fully engage with talking therapy including being able to commit to attending regular appointments
- Be registered with a GP at all times. Subsequently, we will not be able to offer therapy support until you register with a GP and provide your GP details to Anxiety UK.
Anxiety UK’s therapy services are not/may not be suitable if:
- You have an alcohol/drug issue that is at a level which is highly likely to interfere with your ability to engage fully with therapy.
- You have a diagnosis of another more complex mental health condition such as psychosis or an emerging personality disorder or personality disorder (including borderline personality disorder). Please note: having such mental health issues does not however always result in you being unable to access our therapy services. In such circumstances we routinely contact other relevant professionals involved in your care to obtain their opinion as to whether our therapy services are suitable. Please note: hypnotherapy is less likely to be suitable in such circumstances.
- You have strong thoughts of suicide and we believe you may be at risk. In such circumstances we routinely contact your GP and/or other relevant health professional to ensure it is safe and appropriate for you to access our therapy services.
- You are under 16. We will always need to contact your GP and your parent(s)/guardian before being able to offer access to our therapy services.
Anxiety UK aims to process all applications within one working day. We will then contact you regarding any further proof, permissions or payments needed. Once we have all of this information and the payment we will forward your referral to an AUK Approved Therapist who will be in contact within a maximum of 2 weeks.
Typically a course of clinical hypnotherapy, compassion focused therapy or acupuncture will be 4-6 sessions and CBT or counselling will be around 6-15 sessions. Each individual is different and hence if you require more than this, your therapist can apply for an extension on sessions through AUK.
Your therapy entitles you to access reduced-cost therapy, which you pay for per session based on your total annual household income. For more information about the prices of therapy please read here.
Anxiety UK collect payment for the first, second and last session (or first and last in the case of clinical hypnotherapy, compassion focused therapy or acupuncture). Further session fees are payable directly to your therapist. You can pay via our website here.
We may have to if you disclose any information on your referral form that requires us to seek your GP’s or any other medical professional involved in your care’s approval to refer you to an Anxiety UK Approved Therapist. We will contact you first to seek your permission to contact them. Your therapist would also advise you if at any time they felt they needed to contact your GP for advice on the right treatment for you.
The child has to be at least 7 years old to access therapy and we will always need to contact their GP.
No, the staff at Anxiety UK and our Anxiety UK Approved Therapists are not medically qualified to give pharmaceutical advice or prescribe medication. It is best to consult your GP should you have any questions about your medication.
In line with current best practice, it is not advisable to pursue more than one therapy at a time. Different therapies are based on different models and may use techniques that have opposing effects on underlying psychological mechanisms. In other words, you risk “diluting” the positive effects of therapy. This also means that if someone gets better or worse then it is hard to know which treatment was responsible!
In your first session, your therapist will ask you to complete an initial assessment and sign a standard therapist-client contract. You will also be asked to complete regular questionnaires to assess the severity of your symptoms and to help your therapist monitor your progress with your support.
Anxiety UK will ensure your referral data will be treated confidentially at all times during your therapy support and we comply with current UK legislation to ensure your data is stored safely and protected.
You understand that Anxiety UK Approved Therapists are also required by law to apply the same level of protection to your data, while also complying with the ethical framework of their respective professional body in relation to client confidentiality.
Anxiety UK maintains regular liaison with Anxiety UK Approved Therapists to ensure compliance in this respect.
If you have requested that Anxiety UK correspond with you by e-mail, this will require e-mailing your personal data outside of our own IT network. We need to inform you there is the risk of data loss by e-mailing outside our IT network. Before we can proceed with your request we will require written confirmation (this can be an e-mail response) that you do accept the risk of data loss.
If you choose to access therapy support via Skype, Zoom or Vsee we cannot control data absolutely nor guarantee total security.
Home visits are only available in exceptional circumstances and will always be subject to a therapist being available to undertake such a request in your area. All home visits will be a minimum of Tier 2 and also subject to a surcharge paid direct to the therapist for all sessions of 45p/mile for travel costs.
You can make a comment, compliment or complaint at any time during your therapy about your experience of accessing the therapy service by contacting the Services Coordinator on 0161 226 7727 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of our quality assurance process Anxiety UK will also contact you during your therapy to monitor the progress of your support and also at the end of your therapy to gather feedback from your experience to enable us to share good practice, feedback to your therapist any positive outcomes and to identify any measures required to improve the service.
If you are not happy with the therapy you are accessing please contact the Services Coordinator on 0161 226 7727 or at email@example.com. We would ask you to “top up” the used sessions with Anxiety UK to either 2 or 3 sessions depending on the modality and can then make a re-referral. All re-referrals must be agreed by the AUK Therapy Services Team.
You must give as much notice as possible if you cannot attend a pre-arranged session, either by informing your Anxiety UK Approved Therapist direct or by telephoning the ANXIETY UK office on 0161 226 7727. If you miss a pre-arranged session without giving 48 hours notice you will be required to pay for this session in accordance with Anxiety UK’s missed appointments policy. If you arrive late for your therapy appointment, please respect that the therapist may have other clients due for appointments and may not be able to provide a full session as planned.
Whenever your therapist is unable to attend an appointment, we will endeavour to give as much notice as possible. For this reason it is essential that we have a contact telephone number. If for any unforeseen reason your therapist does have to amend and/or cancel an appointment, they will make contact with you over the telephone and will not advise you of any cancellations by email or text.
If Anxiety UK is advised that there is for any reason a gap in your therapy of more than four weeks not agreed in advance with your therapist the referral will be treated as closed (unless there are exceptional circumstances). If you wish to re-access therapy at a later stage:
Anxiety UK cannot guarantee that we will be able to place you back in the care of your original therapist. The referral will be treated as a new ‘episode’ of care and as such the first, second and last sessions will need to be paid to Anxiety UK.
Six top up sessions are available after you complete your therapy if you send in a request within 6 months of completing your sessions. This is subject to therapist availability and your membership with Anxiety UK remaining valid.
Anxiety UK does not offer refunds if:
- A face to face therapist is not available (this is because we are usually able to refer clients for therapy via webcam or telephone)
- You change your mind about wanting therapy, either because you have obtained access to an NHS/private therapist, or for any other reason including failing to provide the relevant evidence of eligibility.
- Your financial circumstances change; we are unable to provide a refund for any difference in session fees. However, you will be entitled to lower ongoing session fees where appropriate and upon production of relevant supporting documentation.
- In exceptional circumstances where refunds in respect of therapy services purchased are offered, any refunds will be made minus a 15% admin fee. If a refund for therapy is provided, the member will not also have their membership fee refunded (as these are two separate services).
Our full terms and conditions can be read on our website here.