Become a volunteer
Volunteers play a vital role in all aspects of our organisation. Because Anxiety UK is a user-led organisation, we actively recruit people with a personal experience of anxiety, who play an important role as they can relate to and support others facing similar issues
We currently have over 800 volunteers throughout the UK in a variety of roles, from counsellors, clinical hypnotherapists and cognitive behavioural therapists to helpline volunteers and participation group members.
Supporting people with anxiety
We know that if you’ve been living with anxiety or anxiety-based depression, voluntary work can be a very big step and there are many barriers that might deter you from volunteering. However, our Manchester office has a warm, supportive environment and is entirely staffed by people with personal experience of anxiety. It can provide you with informal, transitional work if your long-term goal is to get back into employment.
“The best thing about volunteering is when you
connect with people and know that you are
making a difference”
There are a number of ways in which you can volunteer:
• If you live in or close to Manchester, you can volunteer on our Infoline service (click here for more information). Please note that you will need to
available for at least half a day a week during our Infoline’s working hours (Monday-Friday, 9.30am-5.30pm).
• If you don’t live close to Manchester, there are other ways in which you can volunteer, including:
- Contributing to our blog or reviewing our Anxious Times magazine
- Registering your interest in external volunteering opportunities via the Anxiety UK Participation Group (click here for more information)
- Becoming an Anxiety UK Approved Therapist (click here for more information)
- o Raising awareness in your local community by distributing leaflets and/or posters in community centres, GP surgeries, churches, etc.
Please note: To register as a volunteer with Anxiety UK, you must have a valid DBS certificate (enhanced version) that is less than three years old
and is renewed every three years. To download our Disclosure and Recruitment of Ex-offenders policies, please click here.