What is it?Toilet phobia involves fears around toilets, which can include: fear of being too far from a toilet, fear of using a public toilet, fear that others may be watching or scrutinising/listening, or fears of not being able to go to the toilet. Due to the nature of this problem, people are often reluctant to admit to the condition and/or to seek help. Those who do seek help can usually overcome or improve their ability to cope with the problem, even after many years of difficulty. Toilet phobia is something that can affect almost anyone and is not as rare as you might think. Some people are affected significantly by the conditions, while others experience much milder symptoms.
DIY self diagnosis
If you can answer YES to most of the questions it is likely that you may be affected by toilet phobia.
During the last 6 months:
- Have you experienced fear and concerns around going to the toilet?
- Have your fears or concerns about going to the toilet influenced your daily life?
- Have you found yourself anxious about others the idea of urinating in public places?
- Has the idea of having to use a public toilet left you feeling anxious?
- Have you found yourself worrying that others may overhear you when using the toilet?
Anxiety UK strongly advises that people seek further information and guidance from their GP who will be able to make a formal diagnosis.
How we can help
- One year’s free subscription to Headspace (worth approx. £60), more details
- Access to reduced cost therapy
- Access to specialist email and helpline support
- Subscription to Anxious Times magazine (worth £12 annually)
- Access to our Member’s area and free online resources
- Free copy of Understanding Anxiety booklet (worth £3.99)
Toilet Phobia fact sheet
This fact sheet gives a detailed overview, as well as a look at some of the evidence based approaches to treating toilet phobia.
The Toilet Phobia Booklet includes real experiences from a range of individuals about “Toilet phobia”. You can buy your copy from the online Anxiety UK shop here.
The Toilet Phobia DVD lets you hear from a range of individuals who experience anxieties and fears associated with using the toilet. You can buy your copy from the online Anxiety UK shop here.