What is it?
Social phobia can also be classed as ‘specific social phobia,’ such as when there is social phobia only in specific situations like public speaking. The fear of behaving in an embarrassing or humiliating way can lead to a complete withdrawal from social contact, as well as avoidance of specific social situations such as public toilets, eating out etc. The physical manifestations of this phobia include blushing, shaking and sweating etc.
DIY self diagnosis
If you can answer YES to most of the questions it is likely that you are affected by social phobia/social anxiety.
- Do you worry a lot about embarrassing yourself in front of others?
- Do you worry about what people might think of you?
- Do you feel anxious in social situations?
- Do you worry about behaving anxiously in any of the following situations:-
- Public speaking
- Eating/drinking in front of other people
- Writing in front of other people
- Parties and other social gatherings
- Do you avoid any of the above situations because they make you feel anxious?
Anxiety UK strongly advises that people seek further information and guidance from their GP who will be able to make a formal diagnosis.
How we can help
By becoming a member of Anxiety UK – for just £30 per year (see all our membership) you enjoy a range of support services and resources, including:
- Access to reduced cost therapies
- One year’s free subscription to Headspace (worth approx. £72), more details here
- Access to specialist email and helpline support
- Subscription to Anxious Times magazine (worth £12 annually)
- Access to our Member’s area and other free online resources
- Access to our exclusive member’s only online message boards
- Free copy of Understanding Anxiety booklet (worth £3.99)
- 20% discount on purchases of Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules made via www.kalmsrange.com. This discount is exclusively for Anxiety UK members.
- 10% off a Listening Books membership (normally between £20 and £45 per year).
- Total value of more than £90 annually!
Social Phobia/Social Anxiety fact sheet
This fact sheet gives a detailed overview, as well as a look at some of the evidence based approaches to managing social phobia/social anxiety.
Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness uses real-life examples and cognitive behavioural techniques. This book attempts to help the reader unlearn bad habits and replace them with healthy ones.You can purchase your copy from the Anxiety UK shop here.
Understanding Anxiety is a guide that aims to provide you with a greater understanding of anxiety. You can purchase a copy from the Anxiety UK shop here.