What is it?
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is one of the most common gastrointestinal disorders, with up to 20% of the population suffering from it at some point in their life. The typical symptoms of IBS include either recurring diarrhoea or recurring constipation, and some patients also suffer from both diarrhoea and constipation at different times. Additional symptoms can include stomach pain (which is sometimes relieved by a bowel movement), bloating, nausea, and wind. IBS can wax and wane, and patients may experience a few weeks or even a few months of good health before the symptoms return.
IBS is not a psychological disorder but has come to be closely linked with both stress and anxiety. Even people who do not experience IBS can find themselves needing to go to the toilet when they are experiencing stressed nervous or anxious.
DIY self diagnosis
There is no specific medical test for IBS, and it is sometimes called a diagnosis of ‘exclusion’. This means that a doctor may rule out other bowel and stomach complaints such as coeliac disease or inflammatory bowel disease before giving a diagnosis of IBS.
It is very important that patients do not try to self-diagnose IBS as it is impossible for a patient to tell the difference between IBS symptoms and bowel symptoms caused by other disorders.
How we can help
By becoming a member of Anxiety UK – for just £30 per year (see all our membership) you enjoy a range of support services and resources, including:
- Access to reduced cost therapies
- One year’s free subscription to Headspace (worth approx. £72), more details here
- Access to specialist email and helpline support
- Subscription to Anxious Times magazine (worth £12 annually)
- Access to our Member’s area and other free online resources
- Access to our exclusive member’s only online message boards
- Free copy of Understanding Anxiety booklet (worth £3.99)
- 20% discount on purchases of Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules made via www.kalmsrange.com. This discount is exclusively for Anxiety UK members.
- 10% off a Listening Books membership (normally between £20 and £45 per year).
- Total value of more than £90 annually!
Irritable Bowel Syndrome fact sheet
This fact sheet gives a detailed overview of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Worry Box is designed to help you understand your anxiety – your worry – and introduce you to a great way to fix it. You can purchase this from the Anxiety UK shop here.
Understanding Anxiety Booklet is a guide that aims to provide you with a greater understanding of anxiety. You can purchase this from the Anxiety UK shop here.