Fear of Flying
What is it?
The fear of flying (aerophobia) is an excessive worry about air travel. It is believed to affect one in ten of the population, however some studies suggest that the proportion is much higher. Fear of flying can be linked to the fear of airplanes or it could be an aspect of other psychological problems such as panic attacks, claustrophobia or post-traumatic stress disorder. People suffering from fear of flying often suffer increased anxiety and panic attacks at the thought of flying and many avoid air travel as a result of this.
Those with a fear of flying commonly fall into one of two groups. Firstly, some people fear an “internal loss of control”. For such individuals, their fear of flying stems from a fear that they will lose control of their emotions during flight and therefore embarrass themselves in front of fellow passengers. For others, the fear is associated with external factors such as turbulence, bad weather or a fault with the airplane.
DIY self diagnosisIf you can answer YES to most of the questions it is likely that you are affected by a fear of flying.
- Do you have high levels of anticipatory anxiety prior to a flight?
- Do you experience bodily symptoms prior and during flying, such as hyperventilating, sweating, churning stomach and dizziness?
- Do you avoid flying wherever possible, and if able to only fly under duress?
- Do you picture catastrophic scenes while flying that cause you significant distress?
- Is your fear impacting on your relationships or work due to an inability to attend holidays or meetings?
- Do you worry that you might lose control when flying and spontaneously open the airplane door or draw attention to yourself?
How we can help
By becoming a member of Anxiety UK – for just £40 per year (see all our membership) you enjoy a range of support services and resources, including:
- Access to reduced cost therapies
- One year’s free subscription to Headspace, more details here
- Subscription to Anxious Times magazine (worth £12 annually)
- Access to our Member’s area and other free online resources
- Access to our exclusive member’s only online message boards
- Free copy of Understanding Anxiety booklet (worth £3.99)
- 25% discount on purchases of Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules made via www.kalmsrange.com. This discount is exclusively for Anxiety UK members.
- 10% off a Listening Books membership (normally between £20 and £45 per year).
- Total value of more than £90 annually!
Stress Free Flying is a CD that is designed to help you enjoy a more pleasurable flight experience from the moment you decide to travel to when you touch down at your destination. You can purchase this cd from the Anxiety UK online shop here.
Stress Balls are wonderful for relieving tension and pent up frustration. You can purchase yours from the Anxiety UK online shop here.
Tackle your fear of flying differently. We offer a one to one approach; first finding out all about you, then you actually fly a Boeing 737 simulator, which is designed to give you an amazing amount of knowledge in a short time. Then we give you methods to tackle the fear long term, followed by the option to take a real flight again on a one to one basis; all adding up to a powerful way of tackling this anxiety. *
* Anxiety UK does not necessarily endorse the services of any advertiser or sponsor on our web site.