What is it?
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder which may develop following exposure to any one of a variety of traumatic events that involve actual or threatened death, or serious injury.
The event may be witnessed rather than directly experienced, and even learning about it may be sufficient if the persons involved are family members or close friends. Sufferers may experience flashbacks, panic attacks and heightened awareness. PTSD is sometimes found in ex-military personnel who have been involved in conflict situations.
DIY self diagnosis
If you can answer YES to most of the questions it is likely that you are affected by PTSD.
- Have you ever experienced or witnessed a traumatic event, for example, rape, shooting, car accident etc.?
- Do you frequently get upset whilst thinking about a traumatic event?
- Do you experience “flashbacks” in which you feel as if you are re-living a traumatic event?
- Do you feel emotionally numb or on edge due to experiencing a traumatic event?
- Are you aware of avoiding doing things that remind you of a traumatic event?
Anxiety UK strongly advises that people seek further information and guidance from their GP who will be able to make a formal diagnosis.
How we can help
By becoming a member of Anxiety UK – for just £30 per year (see all our membership) you enjoy a range of support services and resources, including:
- Access to reduced cost therapies
- One year’s free subscription to Headspace (worth approx. £72), more details here
- Access to specialist email and helpline support
- Subscription to Anxious Times magazine (worth £12 annually)
- Access to our Member’s area and other free online resources
- Access to our exclusive member’s only online message boards
- Free copy of Understanding Anxiety booklet (worth £3.99)
- 20% discount on purchases of Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules made via www.kalmsrange.com. This discount is exclusively for Anxiety UK members.
- 10% off a Listening Books membership (normally between £20 and £45 per year).
- Total value of more than £90 annually!
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) fact sheet
This fact sheet gives a detailed overview, as well as a look at some of the evidence based approaches to treating PTSD.
Overcoming Traumatic Stress is a self help guide based on cognitive behavioural therapy. It provides techniques on how to cope when dealing with a trauma. You can purchase this book from the Anxiety UK shop here.
Controlling Anxiety is a DVD that offers techniques to help you relax and overcome feelings of anxiety. You can purchase this book from the Anxiety UK shop here.