- School membership
- Resources for schools: children and young people with anxiety
- Training for professionals
Experts estimate that one in ten children and young people aged 5-16 suffer from a mental health disorder – that is around three in every school class. In response to an increase in calls from parents and teachers concerned about a young person’s anxiety, Anxiety UK has developed a School Membership.
The School Membership package includes:
- Access to the Anxiety UK helpline to sign-post teachers and staff who want advice and support with anxiety for themselves or pupils.
- The full ‘Cool Kids’ programme of books for £50 plus postage & packing (versus the usual charge of £65) and a further discount of 10% for future orders.
- A 10% discount on all Anxiety UK products.
- Discounted Anxiety UK training, including the full day ‘Cool Kids’ programme staff training and Anxiety Awareness training for professionals.
- Receipt of termly e-bulletins, which includes a topical discussion of a young person’s experience of anxiety, professional feedback and receipt of an appropriate Anxiety UK fact-sheet.
- Access to the members’ section of the Anxiety UK website, which includes access to back issues of Anxious Times magazine, fact-sheets and archived e-bulletins.
To take out a School Membership, click here.
Anxiety UK has considerable experience in helping teachers, parents and children manage the effects of anxiety. Established in 1970, Anxiety UK supports thousands of anxiety sufferers a year and as a user-led charity, all staff and volunteers have first hand knowledge of what it is like to live with anxiety.
Resources for Schools
The Macquarie University Cool Kids program has been refined and developed over 15 years, and has a number of research studies to evidence its effectiveness.
The Cool Kids (Chilled) Anxiety Program is a scientifically tested course that teaches teens 12 to 17 years of age and their parents how to better manage anxiety. It is a group program involving the participation of both teens and their parents, and focuses on teaching clear and practical skills. Current results indicate that around 80% of young people who complete our programs show significant improvement. Following treatment, there are marked increases in school attendance, academic achievement, confidence, number of friends and involvement in extra-curricular activities and decreases in worry, fear and family distress.
Topics covered in the program include:
- What is anxiety?
- Me and my anxiety
- Learning about feelings
- Detective thinking, and learning to think more realistically
- Fighting fear by facing fear
- Learning to solve a problem
- Why be a confident person?
- Dealing with teasing
You can purchase the full pack by clicking here.
Children And Anxiety Booklet
This booklet has been designed with information for young people and their parents/carers. It contains details about anxiety disorders, sources of help and support, how best a parent can help their child, along with information about how best to liaise with schools or get a SENCO assessment.
The leaflet has been designed with 2 front covers, which will enable carers to use it with a young person as an initial guide to anxiety, and young people can use it to explain to their parents the ways that they can help them.
You can either order a hard copy by clicking below. Alternatively, it is available as a free download at the links below.
Children And Anxiety DVD
This DVD has been produced with schools and youth organisations in mind. It recounts the stories of 3 young people who have suffered with a range of anxiety conditions. The DVD is accompanied by a downloadable pack that contains information on its relevance to the PSHE keystage 4 Personal Wellbeing program (along with its relevance to SEAL) and activities that can be used alongside the DVD to develop lesson plans and encourage discussion of mental wellbeing in the classroom.
Training for professionals
Do you or your staff members feel you would find it useful to increase your knowledge of anxiety, stress or mental health generally? Anxiety UK delivers a range of bespoke training packages. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.