What is it?
Many people fear injections to some extent, but once that fear becomes persistent, excessive and unreasonable, then the fear becomes a phobia. Injection phobia is the fear and avoidance of receiving various types of injections, and/or of having a blood sample withdrawn through venipuncture (pricking a finger). This is a specific phobia and is extremely common yet not very well recognised, and affecting 3.5 % to 10% of the population.
DIY self diagnosis
How do I know if I have an injection or needle phobia?
- If you have a marked, persistent, and excessive fear of needles.
- If exposure to needles almost invariably provokes in you an immediate anxiety response.
- If you recognise this fear is unreasonable.
- If needle-sticks are either avoided, or endured by you with intense anxiety or distress.
- The avoidance, anxiety or distress significantly interferes with your normal routine, occupational or academic functioning, social activities or relationships, or if there is severe distress about having the phobia.
Injection/Needle Phobia Downloads
How we can help
Anxiety UK is a user-led charity with more than forty years experience in supporting those living with anxiety. By becoming a member of Anxiety UK, you will have access to a range of benefits, including:
- Access to reduced cost therapy within two weeks of submitting your therapy request
- Access to our infoline, email, text and live chat services (available Monday-Friday, 9:30 am – 5:30 pm) staffed by volunteers with personal experience of anxiety
- Receipt of four issues of Anxious Times, our quarterly members” magazine
- Access to the members only section of our website, featuring regular support surgeries facilitated by anxiety experts
- Access to specialist helplines, including the psychiatric pharmacy helpline and the psychology information helpline
And many, many other benefits that will help you manage your anxiety long term. To become a member of Anxiety UK click here or ring 08444 775 774 today.
The Anxiety UK booklet on needle phobia includes self help information, along with details of useful treatments, click here to download.
There are a range of other helpful resources that will support you in your recovery from needle phobia. To find out more please click here.
Anxiety UK relies on donations to keep its services running. If you found this information useful please make a donation – no amount is too small.
Do you suffer from needle phobia and want to share your experience with other people? Post your personal experience in the comments box below where it will be sent to our moderator for approval. Many people find this part of the site very useful when trying to understand their disorder so your comments really do make a difference. Please note, all comments submitted to the Anxiety UK website may be used by Anxiety UK for (but not limited to) publicity and promotional material.